Academic Policies

In the event that a student believes that they have received unfair grades for an assignment or course, they must first discuss the matter with the faculty member of the class within 10 days of the grades being posted online. The student bears the burden of proof and must provide evidence of any alleged unfair grading practices. If the faculty member and the student can reach an agreement, the faculty member will either adjust the grade or maintain the original grade. If the issue remains unresolved and the student wishes to file an appeal, they must complete the Academic Appeal Form and submit it to the Dean's Office within 10 days of the faculty member's decision. The dean will review the student's appeal, consult with the professor, and issue a ruling.
1.1 Academic Dishonesty Appeals Procedures

Non-academic grievances pertain to University policies or practices, employees, or students and involve issues such as online safety, disputes, student employment, censorship, or library policies and practices.

1.2 Non-Academic Grievances
Non-academic grievances involve non-academic policies or practices of the University, employees, or students, such as online safety, disputes, student employment, censorship, or library policies/practices.
1.3 Initiation of proceedings

In the event that informal resolution efforts fail or are not pursued, students may follow the procedures outlined below to file a grievance:

  1. Filing a Grievance: Within 20 regular class days of the contested action, or of the date the action became known to the student, the student should file a written grievance with Student Services. The grievance should contain the following information:
  • The student's name, address, telephone number or other contact information.
  • The respondent's name, title (if any), and address (if known).
  • A description of the contested action and its date.
  • If a University policy, regulation or rule is at issue, a specific reference should be made to it, if known.
  • A statement of the harm suffered and the remedy sought.
  • The names and addresses (if known) of any proposed witnesses.
  • Copies of supporting documentation (e.g., papers, tests, etc.), if any.
  1. Assistance with Obtaining Information: The Student Services Coordinator or their designee will help the grievant obtain necessary information.

Students should keep a copy of their grievance and all documentation for their records.


After a grievance has been filed, the Student Affairs department will send the grievance to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) within the following working day. However, if the COO is involved in the grievance, the grievance should be sent to the President instead. The Student Affairs Committee is responsible for keeping the official files and records of the proceedings.

2.1 Student Affairs Committee

The Student Affairs Committee is responsible for receiving and addressing all submitted grievances. The committee is composed of one faculty, one staff, one student, and the president-designee. Their responsibilities include:

  • Receiving the grievance and sending a copy to the respondent immediately
  • Within 7 calendar days of receipt, the committee will:
    • Dismiss a case if it is inappropriately filed or clearly frivolous, providing written reasons
    • Seek the agreement of the affected parties to attempt informal resolution of the grievance by acting as a neutral mediator
    • Hear a case that involves a time-sensitive emergency or which the committee considers minor in importance and make an appropriate determination
    • Assign the case to an appropriately constituted hearing panel
  • The determination of the hearing panel is final and binding upon the parties.
  • The committee will establish a calendar for hearings, notify the parties involved of their rights and responsibilities, and keep the President and the University community informed of operations of the hearing system.
In case a student is dismissed for failing to re-establish satisfactory progress by the end of the warning period, an appeal may be made to the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) based on extenuating circumstances such as an illness, injury, or death of a relative. To be eligible to register for the following semester, the student must submit the appeal by the first Wednesday of the first week of the new semester. The appeal must include an explanation of why the student failed to meet the SAP standards and what has changed in their situation to enable them to meet the satisfactory progress standards. Any supporting documentation should also be provided, such as hospitalization records. After reviewing the appeal, the CAO will notify the student of their decision within 48 hours. If the appeal is granted, the student will be placed on probation for the semester, and the terms may extend beyond one semester to ensure the student completes the program within the maximum timeframe and required CGPA for graduation. During probation, the student remains eligible for financial aid. The student's progress will be evaluated based on the academic plan, and if the student meets the SAP standards or the terms of the academic plan, they will be eligible to continue attending school. However, if the student fails to meet the terms of the academic plan at the end of any respective noted checkpoint, the student may face dismissal.

For Undergraduate students:

Students who have a CGPA of less than 1.5 will be put on probation. They will have one additional semester to meet the minimum standards required of 2.0. Those who do not meet these requirements by the end of the additional semester will be dismissed academically.

Written notification will be given to students placed on probation, and they will receive academic advising to help them improve their grades.

If it is ultimately determined by the Office of the Registrar that a student cannot achieve the required 2.0 CGPA by the end of the maximum time frame, the student will be academically dismissed and will not be eligible to reapply for the same program. Only courses that are relevant to the new program will be included in the calculation of their CGPA if they reenter in a different program.

For Graduate students:

Any student whose cumulative average falls below 3.0 will be placed on probation. The student will have two terms, equivalent to four months, to raise their CGPA to the minimum required 3.0 and be removed from probation.

If students do not meet the SAP requirements, they will be dismissed academically and must follow the Reinstatement Procedures to reapply for admission.

4.1 Procedure for Re-Establishing Satisfactory Academic Progress
A student who has been put on Academic Warning and successfully meets the SAP standards by the end of the warning period will be removed from Academic Warning. Similarly, a student who has been placed on Probation and successfully meets the SAP standards by the end of the probation period will be removed from Probation.
4.2 The Effect on SAP for All Withdrawal, Incomplete, Repeated Courses, and Transfer Credits.

Withdrawals: If a student withdraws from a course during the first week of any given semester, the credits for that course will still count towards the calculation of the completion rate for satisfactory academic progress. However, the withdrawal will not affect the student's CGPA.

Incomplete Grades: A grade of incomplete (I) is not a final grade and does not count towards the CGPA or total credit hours earned. However, it is counted in the credit hours attempted.

Transfer Credits: All accepted transfer credits count towards both attempted and earned credit hours for the purposes of calculating satisfactory academic progress completion rate. Transfer credits may shorten the time required to complete a degree program.

Repeated Courses: The University allows students to repeat courses only if they have academic problems or attendance violations. Undergraduates are permitted to repeat a course up to three times, while graduate students may repeat a course only twice. The higher of the two grades earned in the repeated course will be used to calculate the CGPA. Students who repeat a course are responsible for paying the current tuition and any associated fees.

4.3 The effect on SAP for non-punitive grades and non-credit or remedial courses
Remedial courses are not offered at AULM. Additionally, if a course is transferred and the grade assigned is "T," it is a non-punitive grade that does not affect the student's CGPA.
4.4 The effect on SAP when a student seeks to earn an additional credential
When a student pursues another credential, the credits and grades from their previous credential that are relevant to the new program will be considered in their satisfactory academic progress evaluation. This includes both the CGPA and completion rate.
4.5 The effect on SAP for extended-enrollment status
A student who was previously withdrawn from the University due to failure to meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards and is approved for re-enrollment may choose to enroll without receiving financial scholarships. If the student enrolls without scholarship support for a semester, they may request a review of their academic record at the end of that semester. If the student re-establishes SAP, they may become eligible for financial scholarships for the subsequent semester of enrollment in the academic year.
4.6 The effect on SAP when a student changes programs or is re-admitted to the same program
When a student is re-admitted or switches to a new program of study, their credits and grades from previous programs that apply to their current program will be considered in determining their satisfactory academic progress and evaluation level. However, students are only allowed to change programs if they meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements in their current program of study.
4.7 Re-entry for students dismissed due to failure to meet SAP
Students who have been dismissed due to unsatisfactory progress may apply for readmission to the same curriculum after one semester, subject to class availability. However, prior to reentry, a comprehensive plan for meeting SAP must be submitted to and approved by the CAO. It is important to note that the submission of a plan does not automatically guarantee readmission, as decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
The student has the right to appeal the dismissal decision by submitting a written appeal to the administration within 10 business days of receiving the notification. The appeal must detail the circumstances that the student believes should affect their reinstatement. The administration will then review the student's appeal, academic record, and attendance record, and may consult with the student's instructors for additional information. After considering all of the above, the administration will determine whether the student can be reinstated on an extended enrollment basis and will notify the student in writing of the decision within 5 business days. Students seeking readmission must resolve any outstanding balances and obligations. If reinstated, the student will be enrolled on an extended enrollment status. If the conflict remains unresolved, the student can contact the Commission for Independent Education, Florida Department of Education, at 325 West Gaines Street, Tallahassee, FL, 32399-0400, or call the toll-free number (888) 224-6684.
5.1 Reinstatement Procedures and Extended Enrollment Status
Students who are dismissed from the University due to failing to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards in all circumstances may request a continuance as an extended enrollment student. Once approved, the student may enroll in classes to meet the minimum satisfactory academic progress requirements. In order to return to regular student status, an extended enrollment student must address academic deficiencies by retaking failed courses. After meeting the minimum satisfactory academic progress standards, the student may apply for reinstatement as a regular student, which will begin on the first day of the next class period. If a student is readmitted, they must retake the last course in which they were enrolled and that led to their dismissal. The decision to readmit a student is made by the Dean and a student who is dismissed from the University for a second time is not eligible for readmission.

Students can submit their grievances in writing directly to the student services office, except when the grievance concerns that department. In that case, students should submit their grievances to the Academic Coordinator. The student services office will provide a timely response, but if the response is unsatisfactory, students may submit their grievances in writing to the President. If the conflict remains unresolved, students are advised to contact the Commission for Independent Education at 325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1414, Tallahassee, FL, 32399-0400, or call the toll-free telephone number (888)224-6684.

Full Name*
Full Name*